Miller suffers concussion during Saturday’s session

CLEVELAND – Saturday’s practice quickly became quiet when second-year Browns offensive lineman Ryan Miller went down during individual drills.

Miller remained on the ground for about 15 minutes after falling unconscious from a helmet-on-helmet hit. He was taken by cart to an ambulance and was transported to the Cleveland Clinic’s main campus.

Miller was alert and had movement in all four extremities. He was later diagnosed with a concussion and was released.

“At this time Ryan is doing well,” Chudzinski said after practice. “He’s responsive and things are better at this point.”

Miller, a fifth-round pick (160th overall) in the 2012 draft out of Colorado, played in six games last season with no starts. He’s competing for one of the backup spots this season.

Practice was stopped while Miller was attended to by members of the medical staff. Many players took a knee as the indoor practice facility was nearly silent.

Before the cart pulled away Miller’s teammates surrounded him to wish him well. The players then collectively took a knee for a moment of prayer as the cart pulled away.

“Sometimes it can be (hard to continue practice),” offensive tackle Joe Thomas said. “There are things more important than football, and your health is obviously one of them. To see that is always tough, and you hope that nothing serious has happened.”

NOW THAT’S BETTER: The offense had a better day moving the ball through the air than it did Friday, when quarterbacks Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell and Brian Hoyer all struggled. Weeden was noticeably improved, working the ball to Travis Benjamin, Josh Gordon and tight end Jordan Cameron.

“One of the things you would like to see happen on a day-to-day basis is that it’s not always one side of the ball winning,” Chudzinski said. “At the end of the day you have a balanced team. You have to win games in this league different ways. It’s something we talk a lot about to the guys.”

BACK TO WORK: Defensive lineman Phil Taylor (calf) and tight end Kellen Davis (knee) returned to practice after missing the first two sessions. Taylor, however, didn’t work with the first-team defense during team drills. Second-year tackle John Hughes got the call instead

INSIDE PLEASE: Practice was moved indoors because of heavy rains that hit the Berea area earlier in the day. There was no rain during the workout, with the sun making an appearance late in the session. Players wore shoulder pads and shorts instead of going in full pads as planned.

“I was hoping to get out,” Chudzinski said. “When I came in here early in the morning it was drizzling and raining and I saw the forecast for the day. We had a lot of wetness on the field.”

CAMPING OUT: Cameron had a nice gain on a short pass over the middle from Weeden, but the two were on different pages on another quick hitter over the middle. Gordon hauled in a touchdown pass from Campbell on a deep post route. The ball seems to find Gordon. Rookie cornerback Leon McFadden read a quick screen pass to Gordon and was in the receiver’s face as soon as he caught the ball. Cornerback Chris Owens never seems to stop talking. He worked with the first team in his battle with Buster Skrine and McFadden. Don’t count out Johnson Bademosi at free safety. He continues to be around the ball, breaking up a pass intended for Josh Cooper.