Sat., 11:48 pm: Carbon monoxide detected at NY mall, 1 dead
HUNTINGTON STATION, N.Y. – A hospital spokeswoman says a man has died after being overcome by carbon monoxide at a New York mall.
Huntington Hospital spokeswoman Julie Robinson-Tingue says the man was one of 10 people brought in after the carbon monoxide incident today at the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station on Long Island. The hospital did not immediately release any information about the man.
Suffolk County police earlier said three officers were among those overcome by carbon monoxide at the mall, which is about 35 miles east of New York City. They responded to a call shortly after 6 p.m.
Robinson-Tingue said three people were being treated at the hospital and the others have been discharged.
Several restaurants at the mall were evacuated as a precaution.
The Walt Whitman Shops consists of more than 80 stores, including anchors Bloomingdale’s, Lord & Taylor, Macy’s and Saks Fifth Avenue.