Shooting suspect faces more charges from Braceville

WARREN – Bond for the man police said shot his roommate then led officers on a motorcycle chase through several communities Thursday was set at $100,000 Friday during his first appearance in Warren Municipal Court.

Warren police charged Jeffrey Stone, 37, who has addresses in Warren and Newton Falls, with felonious assault and having weapons while under disability. He is scheduled to return to court on Sept. 4.

Stone, who plead not guilty to the charges and is being held in the Trumbull County Jail, is accused of shooting Larry E. Newland, 48, around 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the apartment the two shared at 1907 Clermont Ave. N.E.

Newland was taken to Trumbull Memorial Hospital for surgery. An update on his condition was not available on Friday.

In addition to the charges in Warren, Braceville police said they will be charging Stone with felony fleeing and eluding, felony tampering with evidence and resisting arrest. He also will face a misdemeanor charge of carrying a concealed weapon.

An arraignment on those charges is expected to be early next week in Newton Falls Municipal Court, officials said.

Police said the ordeal started with a quarrel between the two roommates in Warren, escalated into a chase in the city, through Braceville and into Newton Falls, where it culminated with an arrest.

Newland identified Stone to police as the man who shot him during a fight in an upstairs bedroom of their apartment. He was wounded in the lower right abdomen. Police said two neighbors, who tried to care for Newland, found lying outside 1887 Clermont Ave., said Stone left on a black motorcycle.

Later, Braceville police spotted the motorcycle and rider on Center South Road, and a chase ensued with police trailing the motorcyclist to the intersection of Arlington Road and Bridge Street. A car blocked the motorcycle on the bridge and police attempted to arrest rider then, but he ran, tossing a gun toward the Mahoning River, police said.

The motorcyclist eventually surrendered and was taken into custody. The weapon was recovered, police said.